Wednesday, July 12, 2017

A Literal Bolt Out of the Blue

While finishing dinner and watching the news, there was a nearby lightning strike and we've apparently lost our TV and media HDMI switch.  Power didn't flicker, it just seemed like a close strike, so I'm guessing it was due to an induced field from the nearby strike.  The internet which comes over our cable system played through it and there's apparently no other damage.  The cable converter box/DVR is working: both HDMI and fiber optic sound outputs are fine with a substitute box.  I could go around the house and check everything else we own, but I'll wait for the storms to be completely Done done. 

The rain today was a constant flow of small squalls off the Atlantic onto shore, an "easterly wave" that was originally supposed to be here tomorrow but got here early.  There was a lot of lightning, but nothing that unusual for here.  We aren't exactly in the lightning capital of America, but you can see those storms from here.  Because of that, we're relatively hardened: surge suppressors on virtually everything.  We're also on underground utilities, which helps, although one bit of damage about 20 years ago blew a telephone junction box off the back of the house and across the yard.  Although we haven't had any real damage in a while, you're never really safe from it.
According to the National Weather Service, the number of annual thunderstorm days in the central Florida area are:
  • East coast (Melbourne/Vero Beach) = 70-80
  • Interior (Orlando) = 80-90
  • West coast (Lakeland) = 90-100 
Looks like it's time to shop for a TV, and it will NOT be a smart TV.  Suggestions for a Dumb TV, around 50", would be appreciated.


17 comments:

  1. costco, 4k, with HDR, just don't plug in the network cable or turn on the wifi.

    They have a new asian brand I'd never heard of. Has decent features, decent picture, and is <$500. Get the $30 warranty extension, and if anything goes wrong in the next 5 years, they'll fix or replace it. Costco.com will deliver. I put one in last week for a customer, and I was impressed (for the price.)

    If that doesn't appeal, the Samsung with the same features looks even better, but costs more too, but is good value for the money.

    Don't get curved.

    Amazon has a comparison tool if you aren't costco members.

    Good luck.

    n

    If the cost is over $500, the coverage costs more. Worth it in my estimation though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not Costco members, since the nearest store is about 75 miles away.

      We are Amazon Prime members, though. I'll look for their comparison tool.

      Delete
  2. "The rain today was a constant flow of small squalls "
    What do you mean "WAS"? Still storming down here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say it has turned to a sort of "extra chunky humidity" mist, but I just heard some thunder in the distance.

      The last forecast I saw was that it's drifting south, and you'll get it tomorrow too, while we go back to "30% chance".

      Delete
    2. SiG, have you ever shopped at BJ's? I've only been in there a couple of times, but it seemed like they used to look a lot like Costco inside, and prices were similar. Although it has been a few years since the last time I was in there.

      Delete
    3. Yes. We have a BJ's and a Sam's in town, and membership in both. I think we're headed there in a little while.

      Delete
  3. Most, if not all decent TVs will be "smart". Don't skip a good deal just because it is not "dumb".

    You can simply not connect it to the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. > You can simply not connect it to the internet.

    This is getting harder and harder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially if you have cable with "premium" channels that have to use one of their boxes.

      Delete
  5. Don't forget rtings.com
    http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lightning protection is something I have to seriously look into once we settle in Colorado. Haven't had to worry about it much here in SoCal, but we'll be OUTTA HERE by the end of August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a couple of good resources on that. (Mumble mumble... search... search ). Let me get back to you on that.

      Delete
    2. I have a decent supply of new PolyPhaser "protectors" for HF, but I'll need to get some VHF/UHF rated ones. One of the things I'm planning for the garage/workshop/radio room is a perimeter ground system. Not sure yet if I'll bury copper pipe or copper strap. Still have to work that out. I doubt if I'll ever get a tower/Yagi. I'm just not "in" to hard-core DXing or contesting to justify the $10k cost to set something up. I'm pretty happy with my vertical with elevated radials and my satellite station!

      Delete
    3. I don't know anything about the environment in Colorado. If you're on a hilltop, that's a challenge. Built on rocks or on soil? How frequent are storms?

      Delete
    4. It's a lot like the Midwest, where I grew up. Spring and summer storms, sometimes BIG ones. Lightning is common. Well Seasoned Fool tells me they have an agreement with Mother Nature that all the really bad weather stays East of Interstate 25, and from my travels in the area, I'd have to agree. Fort Collins is pretty much in the Poudre River Valley, so depending on where you are, the severe weather will likely miss you.

      But I've never been one to fool with fate, and lightning protection is a must.

      I doubt if I'll get anything permanent set up until we get settled in whatever home we buy. I'll operate "portable" with my K2 and BuddiPole/BuddiStick until that happens.

      Soil also depends on where you are in the Fort Collins area. Some places are rocky, while others have tens of feet of good topsoil. Just depends on where the last ice age dumped it!

      Delete
  7. I don't think you can buy a new "dumb" TV anymore.
    Just get the best buy you can and then castrate it.
    U-tube is your friend on this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can. We just did. A 49" Hitachi 49E30. The blown set is a 48, this one is really 48.5 diagonal, so it's a wash.

      Delete